Start your membership account today...  Access to credit reports, 100's of rental specific forms, agreements, letters, checklists, how-to articles, guides, expert advice and much more!  Even a FREE, 3-day trial!

Not a Member?
Get a Free Trial Membership

  Get FREE Stuff! Run Credit Report Rental Forms  Shop & Buy Forms!  Advertise Your Rental Customer Care

Welcome to Landlord.com's Discussion Forum
Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
wantboost

Registered:
Posts: 89
Reply with quote  #1 
What temp should I keep thermostat at . Bylaws say I have to keep a minimum temp of 79 .

Should I ask tenant to keep it at 79 minimum or a lower more comfortable temp as when the upper unit is not home the lower unit cannot adjust it ..

Tenants pay for the hydro as is expensive in this area
LLinVA

Registered:
Posts: 545
Reply with quote  #2 
Do you mean a maximum of 79? 

Hydro meaning water? What does that have to do with the AC?
wantboost

Registered:
Posts: 89
Reply with quote  #3 
Here we call hydro electricity.
I checked the municipality there is not temp ranges for air conditioning.


What do u suggest I tell the tenant to keep the thermostat at so that the lower somewhat comfortable.. ie avoid complaints.
LLinVA

Registered:
Posts: 545
Reply with quote  #4 
That will depend on the tenants. Some people find anything over 70 uncomfortable, others can't imagine it being below 76 in the summer. It will be best to set a policy for the exact temp (or a range), but inevitably, someone won't be happy. Has anyone actually complained yet? 
wantboost

Registered:
Posts: 89
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA
That will depend on the tenants. Some people find anything over 70 uncomfortable, others can't imagine it being below 76 in the summer. It will be best to set a policy for the exact temp (or a range), but inevitably, someone won't be happy. Has anyone actually complained yet? 

No it hasnt been turned on yet here . Not warm enough .
Problem is upper unit has the ac in their panel ....
Electricity is expensive here. So I dunno what temps to suggest.
LLinVA

Registered:
Posts: 545
Reply with quote  #6 
Maybe set a policy temp and specify 'unless tenants of both units mutually agree to a different temp'. That way they won't bug you because they've been told what to put it at if they can't agree to something else.
wantboost

Registered:
Posts: 89
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA
Maybe set a policy temp and specify 'unless tenants of both units mutually agree to a different temp'. That way they won't bug you because they've been told what to put it at if they can't agree to something else.


Sounds like they will argue .

I suggested 26 or 27 celcius when not home during the day and 22 or so when at home ....
At the same time the bill for the ac is on the upper units meter so how can the lower suggest a colder temp ??
LLinVA

Registered:
Posts: 545
Reply with quote  #8 
That's why you set a temp and they can only vary from it if they agree. If they don't agree, they have to keep it at the temp you suggested. 

I don't know. I don't see how you won't constantly have problems with one tenant paying for utilities for both units. In cases like that, it's usually best that you pay the bill and either charge them for it or include it in the (increased) rent. 
wantboost

Registered:
Posts: 89
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA
That's why you set a temp and they can only vary from it if they agree. If they don't agree, they have to keep it at the temp you suggested. 

I don't know. I don't see how you won't constantly have problems with one tenant paying for utilities for both units. In cases like that, it's usually best that you pay the bill and either charge them for it or include it in the (increased) rent. 


each unit pays for its own electricity. There are 2 electrical meters all electricity is separate other than the 1 central air conditioner that is in the upper units meter . As it's a central air conditioner and furnace I can only put them on 1 meter /panel....

LLinVA

Registered:
Posts: 545
Reply with quote  #10 
Okay. Well, I don't know what to tell you. You have a property that doesn't have a good answer to this problem. That's why it's not usually done that way. I think your best answer is to set a temp that they have to stick to unless they agree together on a different temp. I don't think there's an even better answer to this issue.
wantboost

Registered:
Posts: 89
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA
Okay. Well, I don't know what to tell you. You have a property that doesn't have a good answer to this problem. That's why it's not usually done that way. I think your best answer is to set a temp that they have to stick to unless they agree together on a different temp. I don't think there's an even better answer to this issue.


Ok thx . All the duplexes in this area are done this way . I guess cause the winter months it's cold here .
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Apartment Finders > > Member Log-in > Free Trial Offer > Free E-newsletter > Customer Service > Get Free Stuff! > Run Credit Report > Rental Forms > Vacancy Center > Do-it-yourself > Evicting Your Tenant > Foreclosure Resources > Landlord Discussion Board > Income Tax Resources > Information Center > Join Landlord.com > Landlord Law > Library > Multi-family > Professional Advice > Rental & Property Mgmt > Rent Collection > Repair & Maintenance > Security Deposit > Software Center > Tenant Screening > Vacation Homes > What's New > Rental Agreements > Free Leases > Inside Our E-store > > Security Deposits > > Landlord Daily News > Rental Agreements >
LandscapingSanJose.net Resources: Cleaner Sunshine coast