Start your membership account today...  Access to credit reports, 100's of rental specific forms, agreements, letters, checklists, how-to articles, guides, expert advice and much more!  Even a FREE, 3-day trial!

Not a Member?
Get a Free Trial Membership

  Get FREE Stuff! Run Credit Report Rental Forms  Shop & Buy Forms!  Advertise Your Rental Customer Care

Welcome to's Discussion Forum
Register Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #1 

I had put up lease termination notice for 30 days, in thousand oaks area of Los Angeles – California, I paid the lease breakage fee for one month.

Now (after 15 days) I want to cancel the lease termination notice as my relocation plans did not work out.

 Approached  the leasing company/ office for the apartment, they told me that they have leased it out to another person.

 What are my option(s) to continue staying in the same apartment.

Any help with suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated.


Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #2 

You should consult a real estate agent in your area for complete assistance. 

Hunter Rentals & Property Management


Posts: 314
Reply with quote  #3 
time 4 u to move

Posts: 126
Reply with quote  #4 
Never consult a real estate agent on a legal matter. They are salespeople, not attorneys.

You gave formal notice to your Lessor and you even paid a fee to further confirm your notice. Your lessor, based on YOUR notice, put in the time and effort to secure a new tenant. That new tenant has probably even signed a lease. If not, the lessor would still have a contract with the new tenant. If you stay, the new tenant might have cause to sue your Landlord for Breach of Contract.

Legally, you are obligated to move. Your only recourse is working with your LL and hoping the new tenant has not signed any contract or given any deposit. This would be a courtesy given you by the LL. Legally, the LL owes you nothing. You are depending on his kindness and his generosity, not any legal obligation.

This is not legal advice. I am a California LL with a good working knowledge of contract law. You should consult an attorney, not rely on free internet advice.

Good luck.

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Apartment Finders > > Member Log-in > Free Trial Offer > Free E-newsletter > Customer Service > Get Free Stuff! > Run Credit Report > Rental Forms > Vacancy Center > Do-it-yourself > Evicting Your Tenant > Foreclosure Resources > Landlord Discussion Board > Income Tax Resources > Information Center > Join > Landlord Law > Library > Multi-family > Professional Advice > Rental & Property Mgmt > Rent Collection > Repair & Maintenance > Security Deposit > Software Center > Tenant Screening > Vacation Homes > What's New > Rental Agreements > Free Leases > Inside Our E-store > > Security Deposits > > Landlord Daily News > Rental Agreements > Resources: Cleaner Sunshine coast